Old 12-17-09, 09:31 AM
ridethecliche
Village Idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ochavez View Post
If I were to buy a set of wheels to race and train on I think I'd go with a set of HED Kernesse. These should be plenty of wheel for both purposes: http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/kermesse_c2.asp

I know everyone says aero trupts weight but after about 20 or so yo-yo effects in a Cat5 Crit the wight will make a difference. Not wasting energy on accelerations means you are going to feel fresher when you need to really need to dig in which is why I personally will favor weight over aero in critiriums. Again, my preference.

The other option would be to have a set built with ultegra hubs and some dt swiss 1.1 rims or some open pros with some double butted spokes. Custom wheels are also supper cool...I think.

As for the benefits for race day, you are much more likely to lose races because of mistakes you make at the wrong time that costs you positions than from the wind resistance on regular wheels. I put some numbers to the aero wheel advantage in a sprint and ended up with only a 7watt edge at 33mpa. This wasn't enough for me to justify the $1500 purchase. Not wasting energy on accelerations means you are going to feel fresher when you need to really dig in which is why I personally will favor weight over aero in critiriums.
Wheels and rim weight really don't make that big of a difference in terms of energy required to accelerate. Your weight does.