View Single Post
Old 12-19-09, 09:14 AM
jhalv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to you all for the good wishes and advice.

Here's an update. The police arrested a guy with one of my bikes (the SR-33). Apparently, the police were called because this guy was beating up on a woman friend of his at Lafayette and Minna streets (SF). A citizen intervened and the guy took off on MY BIKE! His bike handling skills weren't the best and I suppose he couldn't clip into the pedals with his street shoes, so he crashed. (I like to think my bike was fighting back and bucked him off. Yea I know, it's only a machine...but it's a nice thought.)

So, they got the guy and one of my bikes. The bike took some damage; mangled R der., bashed L shifter and scrapes and scratches on both sides of the frame and components. Well, good news is the ins. co. will take care of the damage. The bad news is I can't do anything with it until this guy's case goes through court. The police released the bike to me but want me to preserve it as is because it's evidence. They said they could release it to me because of it's value etc. but I can't loose it, sell it or fix it until the case is over. They don't have a lead on my other bikes...yet. Hopefully between the domestic violence charge and grand theft, this guy will give them up. The police were very excited to know how much the bikes were worth because it ups what they can charge him with. And right now I want to go on record as applauding the SFPD. They were so cool throughout this whole ordeal, from the cop who came to my house and took the report up to the sergeant and inspector I dealt with. I know they get a bad rap from cyclists here, but not from me!

I'm glad I got the bike back but I'm still in a fix re: training. I signed up for the Death Ride, Levi's Grand Fondo, and I was thinking about the Davis Double. My plan was to start training in earnest after the 1st so I guess I'll have to see if I can find a replacement bike until I can get mine fixed.

At least it's nice to know karma still works.