Old 12-31-09, 12:26 PM
ubermensch84

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike for light rider

First off, just wanted to say this forum has been a wealth of information. I've read dozens of threads and this is a great resource for touring, best I have found

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or resurrect a 2 year old one. Everybody was jealous of the 145 pounder in this thread and I weigh less! I'm not trying to do the TA in 45 days but a lot of the info pertains to me as I do travel light and I don't weigh a whole lot
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...istola+touring

I am going to buy a bike with the plans of doing long fully loaded tours likely starting with the TA this summer. My load and I would not exceed 150 pounds so I don't see the need for a bike designed to carry excessive weight like the LHT which I was leaning towards before. I also have 7.5/8 feet so I don't think panniers on a bike with a smaller chain stay will be an issue for me. Also, everybody says the LHT is slow and rides like a tank. This will be my only bike so something like the crosscheck seems to be a little more versatile and more fun and faster to commute on in the city and around town and on longer day rides. Definitely seems to be a major added benefit of having a faster unloaded bike when not touring which will be a majority of the time + the thought of taking a heavier bike up a pass scares me a little though I have no experience and many post say bike weight is overrated, but those posters probably also weigh much more than me

One of the potential drawbacks to the crosscheck are the 700c wheels which I have read are harder to find around the world. I definitely plan on making my way to South America and Asia over the next several years. Seems a solution to this is to carry a folding tire and wheels/tires can always be shipped even if it requires a bit of a journey to get to a town

Anyway, some thoughts on a versatile touring bike for a lightweight person would be much appreciated. Is it practical for me to get something like an LHT? I'm not limited to the crosscheck at all but it seems to fit most the criteria needed to tour (I would switch it to a triple and gear it lower at time of purchase), faster and more fun at home and it is in the price range I am looking at. The Bianchi Volpe seems to be a possibility too

thoughts?

-------------
fyi-thanks to everybody for their replies in my building thread, read them all and was great information. Decided buying a complete bike is more practical for me + I want to be on the road already!!

Last edited by ubermensch84; 12-31-09 at 01:18 PM.