no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
I've had mine MS for almost as month now. I like to ride down to the coast and watch the sunset, which means I have to ride back in the dark. My route is purely city in the middle of rush hour. So far I haven’t got any complain by any driver about being too bright. What I have noticed is how differently driver reacting to me compare to my old 5 led Power Beam light. It is such a difference. I don’t think I have annoyed any motorist at all. If anything, any inconvenience is well worth my own safety with the MS .

There are three noticeable differences in the behavior of motorist around me with the MS light. One, when car are turning left into the main road where I am riding. They wait for me to clear as if they think I am a car. Two, cars turning left into their driveway see me more visible and wait till I clear. Before, they sometime almost hit me and they even roll down their window apologizing for not seeing me. Three, the biggest safety change so far is car backing out their driveway when there are several cars parked on the street in front of their house. They use to not see me at all because those parked car blocked their view. Now with the MS light, the extra Lumen cut through the window of those parked car and the car leaving the driveway will stopped immediately and wait for me to clear. Just those three safety factor alone out weighs whatever inconvenience (if any) of the brightness of the light.

I did a couple of changes to my light for my battery and cable. I'm going to share it here hoping this may help those who have MS lights. The first one is the cord that breaks at the connector. I used some rubber tape bought from OSH and wrapped it around the cord and the connector adding some extra strain relief and reducing the bends at that point. I then added some black electrical tape so that the rubber tape does not unwrap.

The second thing I did was to waterproof my battery. I bought some clear round container from Home Depot for $3. They are cylinder shape in the size of 2"dia x 4" long. They have a removable cap on one end with a slit on the cap. That slit allow me to feed the connector through the container. I also cut a small hole on the bottom end to allow any water that does get by to drain out. I attached the container to the corner of the top/down/head tube with cable ties. It can be an hassle to remove the battery out of the container to charge, so I also recommend using Velcro strap instead of cable ties. I used ties because my bike is near an outlet. The website for the container is: http://www.viewtainer.com/

Here is a picture of my battery setup. Hope this will help those MS owners.
Thanks for the input on the waterproofing of the battery. I like your idea of using the clear container, why didn't you put the battery in the seatbag you have clipped to the stem? That looks like it would keep the battery dry and make it easy to remove too.