View Single Post
Old 03-31-05, 04:21 PM
spindog
Respect Your Hill

Bikes: 2007 Colnago CLX Carbon, 2 Cannondale R2000Si's (road), 1 Trek (road), 1 Cannondale (Mtn)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my first six centuries on a mountain bike. Two with knobbies and the last four with slicks. Each ride, I managed to ride with roadies and they were amazed that I could keep up. I didn't know any different and had no idea why my ride should be more difficult than theirs.

When I finally switched to a road bike I felt weightless. How much faster was I? I never had a speedometer on the mountain bike, so I'm not sure. But I do believe that riding the heavier bike and spinning my butt off to keep up with the roadies helped me to develop a real efficient pedal stroke and made me a stronger rider.

The one thing that sucked about riding the mountain bike with slicks was that the wide suface was a magnet for every little particle of road debris and flatted WAY too often. (advice - never ride a century in the rain with mtn bike slicks)

My guestimate for speed loss/gain with equal effort would be -for example, if you comfortably rode a century averaging @ 17 mph on a road bike, the mountain bike w/slicks, given the same effort would be more like 15ish mph. (But you'd crank on the downhills!!)

Sorry for the babbling - Of course, I have no scientific or measurable answer for your question.