Old 01-04-10, 07:27 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have what I think is a very simple question, but yet one that many bicycle enthusiast I’ve asked have never been able to answer…

When and why did it become inappropriate in society’s eyes, for a man to ride a step through frame bike? Some people (men and women both) view it almost as if it was some form of Cross Dressing. You don’t have to wear a skirt to ride a step through frame bike… You can but you don’t have to. You can wear any type of clothing you want to...

So, why did men for the most part shy away from riding a step through frame?… even though it is in many ways a more practical frame for utility use. Was it because it was considered manly to race a bicycle, and all the racing bikes were diamond frames?

I’m a man, and have ridden many different types of bikes over my life… I ride a Mixte and a U-frame bike now because of a hip replacement and the subsequent reduction in flexibility from it. But, I have learned that there are many advantages to a step through frame that I never realized, because when I was younger I never wanted to ride one because I was told they were for women, not for men… Looking back I now see just how stupid that attitude was. The different frame types are best used for different purposes… that’s all.

If people are going to continue to argue the ole Step through frames were just meant for women who wore dresses thing. Then they are over looking so many of the advantages a step through can deliver, just because they fear looking un-manly (whatever that is).

I’ll take my Mixte over a diamond frame anytime that I have the panniers loaded, or with a cooler full of lunch, or sodas on the back; when my wife and I ride to the park for a picnic, or daytrip ride.