Old 01-04-10, 09:55 PM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-I have been through a lot trying to keep my wheels invincible. I found that gatorskins/armadillos didnt help compared to normal tires.
-Tire liners are by far the most cost efficient way to keep them protected (15$ for both wheels and dont need replacing)
-Upgrading tire size small amounts makes nedgligible difference (small amounts 700x20-28 change) but going to larger tires say 36 means you can have lower pressure in your tubes and its harder for stuff to puncture your tire.
-Also if you get flats on your 700x23C every once and a while you will spend way more time fixing flats then you'll save by going fast. Plus you'll have an unreliable commute time... which sucks... in order to assure you make it somewhere you have to leave early which sucks... I've been there

-Fancy tubes made no difference either.

Get a decent rim and build it with some TLC and you'll be fine

2 biggest things are if you see dirt and stuff on the side of the road dont bike there ... there will be spiky stuff you dont see
Also every once and a while (2weeks to 1 month) I deflate my tire and pick/squeeze out all the hunks of glass which are working their way through my tire.