View Single Post
Old 01-05-10, 10:10 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should also mention that I've taken the roller wheels off my Carryme because I discovered how heavy microbearings are when I went to upgrade the stock ones (which were bearingless and noisy). I also found that the bike stands better (less likely to tip over) on the rack directly (I guess similar to how a kickstand works much better if you rubber band the brake levers). So since my Carryme is down to about 15 pounds now I figured I'd try carrying it over my shoulder Xootr Scooter style.

I haven't really tried it much yet cause my brakes went from very poor to extremely dangerous last winter and I'm still working on upgrading them (a woeful tale of small wheel technicality which I'll tell once it's over), but it's not a high priority since I don't live in the city anymore (although it's higher now that the roads are salted which is terrible for inline skates).

Not to knock the Brompton, but you guys using 4 full size rollerblade wheels must be adding a lot of weight (in addition to the "rack" which is actually a stand). Just seems like a lot of trade off when the end result can't even roll over the train/platform gap. How much do those rollerblade wheel clad Bromptons weigh?

Last edited by chucky; 01-05-10 at 10:29 AM.