Old 01-05-10, 12:50 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
I knew very little about road bikes back when I got my Super Strada seen here right after I rebuilt it, but before I finished it or got it dialed in:

When I got it, it was sitting complete in a backyard with a bunch of newer mountain bikes. I had no tires or tubes on it, was missing the seat post and pedals and had a small portion of red/black leopard print bar tape left on the bars, it was otherwise in time capsule condition. The parts it came with were:

- Dura Ace 7400 groupset
- 600 DT shifters and headset
- 600 hubs laced to Saturae 700c rims

It has become my main bike since that time.

I have slowly been upgrading nearly every single part since then. The bike has had three major revisions. It seems that I am slowly going to be changing out every relevant part for parts that offer increased performance/personalization of fit. Here's what I have so far:

- 40cm ATAX Guidons Philippe D352 bar -> 42cm Modolo ergo
- DA 7400 front brake and front and rear derailleurs -> Ultegra 6600 pieces
- Bontrager saddle -> San Marco Ischia
- MKS Sylvan pedals -> Looks
- 600 hubs laced to Saturae 700c rims -> Shimano RSX freehub laced to Mavic CXP11 rims (front wheel is now an unknown 28 spoke radial.

I figure it will eventually have full Ultegra 6600 equipment (with DA 7800 shifters) the way I'm going.

Here it is pictured much the way it is now, except that it's missing the Ultegra 6600 RD which I put on recently in preparation for 10 speed:

Future plans include:

- Need another 42cm, 26mm clamp ergo bar that has a tighter drop than my Modolo. This one is perfect in drops, but hurts my wrists on the hoods. If I rotate it up, the drops don't fit.
- DA 7800 hubs laced to Velocity Deep Vs in Ti finish, 32/32 radial
- DA 7800 DT shifters or possibly 7800 brifters if I can't find a set of aero levers that feel comfortable on the hoods of.

Let me know what you guys think!

-
Here's the latest revision:

- Univega Super Strada frame/fork
- Shimano 600 headset
- Ultegra 6500 crank
- Dura Ace 7700 bottom bracket
- Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur
- Ultegra 6600 front derailleur
- Ultegra 6600 front brake
- Ultegra 6500 rear brake
- Shimano 600 downtube shifters (indexed to 7 speed cassette)
- Exage aero brake levers
- FSA 2-bolt seat post
- Selle San Marco Ischia saddle
- Deda Elementi Newton stem
- Deda Elementi Nera ergo bar
- mismatched wheels= unknown radial front, Mavic CXP 11 rear
- Continental Gatorskin tires

Left to do:

- Dura Ace 10sp DT shifters
- 10 speed chain
- I'd like to ditch the Exage aero levers in favor of DA aero levers
- new wheels: DT Swiss 1.2 laced to Dura Ace 7800 32h hubs, ideally. I'm not sure whether I will use Deep V, DT Swiss 1.2, or Mavic CXP 14 rims at this point.
- might try to trade the Deda Newton 12 degree stem for a 17 degree one at some point. (any takers?)
- might eventually replace the fork with a Reynolds 531 threadless fork, (is there such a thing?), and get a Chris King headset.
- will probably upgrade the saddle at some point

Let me know what you think!