View Single Post
Old 01-07-10, 11:10 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
The wheel is 700c, the tire is 32mm, the tube is labeled 700c for 25-28mm. The problem is when placed around the rim, there are 4 inches of tube too much. I call that overlap. No way I can stuff that much extra tube into a tire. Weird.
I've seen this once or twice. What I usually do is:

1) Get another tube, if possible

or

2) Put the wheel inside the tire, and secure one bead to the rim. I then inflate the tube using as little air as possible. I use the valve to push the tube up into the tire, then start seating the remaining bead by hand. I squeeze the tube into the tire before sliding a section of bead over the rim. This helps to prevent the tire from pinching the tube against the rim, which will eventually lead to a flat. Once the bead is completely seated, I then inflate the tube to the required pressure.

In my experience, Option #2 only works if you can install the tire by hand. Whenever I've had a large tube and a tire that was so tight I needed to use levers to get the last section of the bead in place, I've ended up pinching the tube and it goes flat sooner rather than later. Like staehpj1, I've given up on Slime and other fancy tubes and just use regular tubes; the others aren't worth the hassle. If I'm worried about punctures, I buy a different tire rather than a different tube...