Old 01-07-10, 11:37 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Cranky, how much do those things weigh?

I thought it so cool you posted pictures of yours too. Might be the best comeback post yet I have seen.
I've never actually weighed one but they don't seem much (if any) heavier than a typical Mtn. Bike of the same (late 70's to mid 80's) period.

Originally Posted by kjc9640
I'll bet those things turn some heads and raise some questions, don't they?
They get a lot of attention from other cyclists. Non cyclists don't seem as tuned in on the details. They see a bike and their attention tends to quickly divert elsewhere, though some do notice.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Cranky posted pictures of the bikes.
Cranky rides the bikes!!

Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
It appears that they're still sold. http://www.alenax.com/product.asp

As best as I can tell they've been been in and out of production several times over the past 30 odd years. The company has moved about quite a bit. At one time they assembled the bikes here in Rochester about eight miles from my house. I suspect the units I own are from that era though I'm not certain as I picked them all up second hand, one men's bike and then a pair a few years later, all about 15 to 20 years ago. One can occasionally come accross one on Craigslist or E-Bay for anywhere from $50 to some ridiculous astronomically high price. They also offered road bikes.

I purchased them for a few reasons: they are different and thus really caught my interest, and as the O.P. mentioned they peak interest in many other folks also. I doubt that they'll ever be valuable...but they sure are fun to play with. I know they light up my daughter's face which in turn lights up me.