Old 01-09-10, 06:24 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
I ride down to 15 deg F on the mountain bike, 20-25 deg F on the road. Okay, I rarely do that nowadays, but I used to do that Anyway, I still have the same jackets and such as I did a few years ago. I varied in weight from 180-210 lbs, wear a size L jersey (which is not extremely snug, but it's not flapping by any means), and all my jackets are size L. They all fit fine with 2 LS layers (jerseys or base layers) and 1 SS jersey underneath. Oh and the tops of relatively heavy bib tights too.

I've never ridden where I need two jackets, unless someone defines a thicker LS jersey as a jacket (in which case I did it regularly). To me "jacket" implies wind proof front and arms, insulation of some sort, and nice wrist cuffs. Usually at 40 deg F I can ride with a jacket and a thin LS base. A thick LS jersey won't be windproof and it'll be kind of chilly with a SS baselayer at maybe 55 deg unless you have a wind vest.

Wind jackets are different too - only windproof, no insulation. I hate them because generally speaking the arms flap no matter what. I buy wind vests instead, and layer my arms.

My jackets that I own, in order of preference: Verge, Nalini, Champion Systems. Then older ones from Cannondale, some Italian team thing, and misc wind-only-jackets.

I don't own any Nalini jerseys so I can't vouch for fitment across different Nalini pieces, but it makes sense to get the same size jacket as you have a jersey.

On an aside, I bought 42 winter road shoes (Sidi) since I wanted to have "warm" socks on. I normally wear 41 Sidis. Even with relatively thick socks, my feet swim in the 42s. I only rode them 2x. If I had the choice to do it again, I'd get 41 winter shoes. I figure Sidi will have worked out all the fit things related to "wearing warm socks" etc etc, just like reasonable clothing manufacturers work out "wearing layers under a jacket".

Of course nothing beats actually trying things on, but I never tried any of the above jackets on until they showed up.

cdr