Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcrowell
I attended a "Park Tool School" session at my local LBS last night. We covered bearings and such. Nothing earth shattering yet. The other students were roadies that hadn't been on their bikes in a while (it is January after all), and here I was with a dirty, salt-covered hybrid that I had just ridden in the slop a few hours earlier.

All was going well, until time to remove the rear wheel QR skewer. Once removed from the wheel, the skewer promptly fell apart. Some tiny little clip that holds the lever in place had disintegrated. The lever was only held in place by the force of being tightened.

At least it happened in the right place. I had a replacement skewer in a matter of minutes.

I shudder at the though of things coming apart while going downhill on a snowy street.

In other news, I have totally worn out my chain and cassette, but I'm not worrying about it yet, my new bike will be with me on Friday.

Yup - That was the right place for the discovery! MY first (ok I have not changed many) flat tire was in my living room. I opened a botttle of wine and called a friend who walked me thru the steps to change it. I like having the problems occur int he shop or at home....