Old 01-11-10, 10:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have this also. When I'm not doing aerobic exercise, I need to be careful with meal balance. I find that concentrating on fruit and vegetables for carbos smooths things out a lot, as well as getting a good percentage of calories at each meal or snack in the form of good fats and protein.

My guess is that you haven't done a lot of LD bike riding yet. You'll find that the trick of it is the constant consumption of carbs with a little fat and protein here and there. A steady drip of mostly carbs, around 250 cal./hr., will keep you moving. Since it's a steady drip, you don't get the highs and lows. Aerobic exercise also has the effect of smoothing out your blood sugar. Though I forget the exact mechanism, this study demonstrates that the G.I. doesn't matter for your purposes.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/1222
So if you eat carbo bars, break them into quarters and eat 1/4 about every 15 minutes. Notice that this study did not have the participants eat low GI when not exercising and high GI during, as I advise:

I find that the higher the GI of my biking foodstuffs, the better off I am, because what I want while biking is that exact fast acting effect that I don't care for when I am off the bike. That's the reason that nothing works better than a gel when you're feeling tired.