Old 01-12-10, 07:27 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
But most times when group riding with smaller groups, I have no problem making certain others finish safe and at a pace good for them. Not saying or suggesting this is 100% of the time, but knocking a hole in the wind, or riding a slower pace with encouraging words so others finish the ride can be part of a great ride also. I guess a lot of this involves knowing how large the group is, plus paying attention to others you are riding with.
Small groups or large, whenever you have a group of 'regulars' who on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being predisposed to ride at an average speed of 25 mph and 10 at 12 mph) ride in the 4-7 range and someone shows up who is a 1, 2, 9 or 10 they're typically going to go off the front or off the back. Most 'regulars' don't worry so much about the ones who go off the front, they're obviously getting in their miles somewhere else so it's on them to throttle back and be social. If they don't no big deal. However, it's the folks on the other end of the curve that slinky off the back or get dropped, despite the best intentions of the group: hey, you can only ride so slow. We've even seen this with group members who were previously in the middle of the mix who moved to a triplet with their kids and, well, adiós muchachos... Now, bear in mind, if you don't live where there are any hills it's a lot easier for those new riders to hang with the group and for the group to ride at a more relaxed pace. However, in places like North Georgia, hills are a fact of life and they are what split the herd... quickly. Just something to keep in mind when considering the broader audience and what some of the dynamics are that influence club ride challenges in different places.

Originally Posted by PMK
I noticed your ECDM possibly hitting the blocks, if you still have it any plans on being there?
I never put it up for sale and we probably won't decide what we're doing relative to Alex's off-road weekend in May until just before the event. We have an alternative lodging site so we're not constrained by reservation limitations.