View Single Post
Old 01-12-10, 06:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
[QUOTE=calamarichris;10260675]Sorry Ooga.
I wasn't planning on it, since it's a week before Solvang, but I just learned it goes over the Coronado Bridge! That novelty alone makes it worth the entry feel IMO. I'll be there and dressed in my finest Polyester.

oh yeah! agreed-a jaunt across the pond is just the ticket! guess i'll just have to suck it up then.
the route in reverse would be a safer one but use of the bridge later in the day isn't/wasn't
going to happen. a little concerned about three sections of the course though and where they
come up in the ride. lyons valley road is a blast but a least one person is going to misjudge
one of those tight switchbacks as you descend past the general store and end up in the
prickly pear cacti. a couple more miles down lyons valley road, there is a downhill curve that is
deceptively sharp. riding north down harbor drive near the finish, the pavement is ripped all to hell
and combined with railroad tracks for extra good times. i fear that more than a rider or two will be
very tired at this point and biff it in the nassco shipyard area. i pray that i am wrong. it is a
challenging course and besides the honey springs hill, there is that short, wtf climb at the base of
the gnarly lyons valley switchbacks along with the ascent up to jamul. jamul drive is a great descent
and the san miguel road one is good as well.

the part i fear the most? riding otay lakes road (this time heading west) after hanging a right off
the 94 coming from jamul. the usual headwind that picks up after 11 am (especially once to the skydiving area) is gonna hurt.