Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
I forgot to take into account that I'll be eating frequently enough that it probably doesn't matter so much what I'll be eating. Although I did find last summer that I performed bested on my longer rides with zone bars or the Metrx protein bars. Whenever I ate chocolate (which was really my favorite to consume) I didn't perform very well. The Gatorade never really quenched my thirst and I preferred to alternate a container of Gatorade with a container of water.
Have you tried beverage choices other than Gatorade? Look for something with maltodextrin ... like Heed. I also think some of the Powerades have maltodextrin too.

Although I love chocolate in general, chocolate is not one of my favourite things on a ride ... it doesn't sit well with me.

On my long rides, I need to consume protein and fat. In fact, I get very tired of sweet stuff fairly quickly. A couple of my favourites are salted almonds, which provides me with protein, fat, some carbs, and a whole list of vitamins and minerals including the electrolytes; and beef jerky, which provides me with protein, fat, and electrolytes.