Old 01-15-10, 08:12 AM
jhey42.1
Jhey42.1

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports 3 speed All-Gold Edition, 1979 Schwinn Typhoon Custom 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Twist Shifters

Originally Posted by juls
Was it a twist shifter then? Can't make out a trigger on either one of bikes pictured. Beautiful color!
3 speed twist shifters were the "grandfathers" of today's "Grip-Shift" they were found on the department store brands of the day. My mom had a Sears bike that had one. The one on this gold bike works fine, but they have a pretty bad reputation. BTW if you are interested in a gold one that same Raleigh dealer just got two more. A mans and ladies, they are "later" versions and have the standard chain guard and different decals. Give Josh a call 336-263-3509 he is the one in charge of restoring these two bikes. (and all the other ones) He is picking parts off the huge pile of vintage Raleigh's Elgins, and Humber's that are awaiting their fate in the back gargage of this shop. I don't know if I can mention the name of the shop here but you can contact me privately if you want. They have been there for 103 years, you can believe they have vintage parts. I just picked up a '62 Raleigh Sports (complete but very rough) for 40 bucks, even had a Brooks..........