View Single Post
Old 01-15-10, 01:24 PM
bikefreakvinnie

Bikes: 27 sp Commuting Hybrid with front hub dynamo, 3 sp Brompton Folding bike, Shogun with electric conversion kit, mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always have had fairly low end derailers on my bikes, few years ago: simplex, sachs, then non series shimano.

Now with a larger gear range I've used tourney, altus, and deore (is my best).
At the moment I have 2 altus and 1 deore.

I had the most trouble with the tourney. A friend and I bought the same Dawes Discovery 201 in 2006 and on both bicycles the tourneys lower chain wheel collapsed (the center axle collapsed and caused a lot of chain movement and the gears to jump). Mine was replaced with another tourney under warranty (my LBS hadn't seen it happen much before), but the same thing happened. We simply replace the chain wheels on his.. I decided to use the second one til it died, which was pretty quickly, I'd estimate between 2000 and 3000 miles.

Now I have an deore on the Dawes and its running fine. I don't mind low end parts but from experience I think from altus up is fine -the altus has a similar chain wheel size to the tourney but I don't know what it was -they look flimsy even compared to the altus!...