View Single Post
Old 01-18-10, 11:32 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by vaguelyweird

I am 5'0", 26" inseam. I'd been looking for 43-45cm frame sizes, but they seem very rare at my price range, compared to kids' road bikes. Usually when I carry a bike, my biggest issue is the size, not the weight. However, lighter would definitely be a plus. Have suggestions for the 'exceptionally nice hybrid'? It sounds exceptionally tempting. (:

And once again, thanks!
Check your bicycling inseam, I know in my case it is about 1 1/2 inches MORE than my regular inseam.

I have had a couple of road bike that size in the last year, but they are very rare, and sell at a healthy premium.

As far as dismissing mountain bikes, I would not be that hasty. Here's one I set up for my wife. Ignore the really high seat height. I had the seat up high when I test rode it. My wife rides it at a much lower setting. Rigid frame MTBs have room for fenders, racks, wider tires, etc. Do a search of the touring forum, you will find a lot of people modify MTBs for touring.

Hybrids are an alternative. I am not a big fan of hybrids in general. But small ones are out there.

Regardless, I would not buy a bike with 24 inch wheels.

As far as exceptionally nice, I would let the deal dictate. When buying used, you need to cast a wide net, and not lock into any single model/brand.