Old 01-20-10, 12:12 AM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
didnt work....is there a chance my crankset/bb are not screwed in tight enough? im so lost right now...

Yes there is. If you can move your Spindle farther inward, do so. crank bolt needs to be TIGHT. also assuming square taper cranks, you may have mismatched tapers or somthing and therefore you won't be able to get your crank on as far as its supposed to go. check the net to try and find out if they are either ISO or JIS standard.
In my experience, if the crank is screwed on "tight", the FD should at least not be pushing the chain off the big ring. rubbing a bit and not being able to shift (under load) from the small ring would be the worst I would expect. I've had it happen.

Have you tried adjusting the derailleur alignment "wrong"? If it can be twisted to the point that it is no longer acting on the chain when fully extended it was never adjusted "right" in the first place