View Single Post
Old 01-21-10, 06:28 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HC203
I'm planning a ride from Burlington, VT to Baltimore in early June. This is the second leg of a Canada to Baltimore and south ride I started in 08. Rode from Quebec City to Burlington on the first leg. I plan on heading straight down Vermont into Mass then heading west towards the Hudson to cross near Poughkeepsie where I will use the Adventure Cycling Atlantic coast maps. I'll follow NYState bike route #9 for a bit from Hudson, NY south. Any route suggestions for the Vermont and Mass sections would be helpful as well as getting over to Hudson, NY. Here's my rough route. Just looking to avoid crazy deathtrap roads.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/vt...26404132359445
Looking at your route, Rt 7 in Vermont would not be my first choice. Its the main route between Burlington & Rutland and very busy. I'd query mapmyride for Vergennes for a nice backroad route from Vergennes to Middlebury. I road one of those routes last summer and it was beautiful, with covered bridges and no traffic. Then perhaps take Rt 30 south or look for other N/S routes nearby. Also avoid RT 22a since that's the main route on the West side of Vermont to get to the Interstate highway in NY near Glens Falls.

If you need a place to crash before the ride or help once here (I live about 15 miles east of Burlington), just PM me.

Brian