View Single Post
Old 01-21-10, 05:04 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bbelhumeur
Not really sure, as I haven't done this. The bottom bracket doesn't have two separate lockrings, however. The drive side cup screws in and bottoms out, with the shoulders of the cup tightening against the BB shell. The non drive side cup has no shoulders, but a separate lock ring that tightens down on the BB shell.
My Axix has lockrings on both sides. Whether or not the driveside has a lip, you can put a spacer there. Otherwise, to adjust the chainline, I have been using internal spacers after reading about them in a TA leaflet. However, I made those spacers myself figuring out that it would be too much bother to try to get them from TA though their dealer.

Looking over your instructions:

Originally Posted by bbelhumeur
EDIT: Found instructions....FYI
I am now confused. My BB certainly predates Carmina and Vega. Now those later cranksets are, to the best of my knowledge JIS. Your instructions mention the use of an axle compatible with Carmina and Vega. Maybe it is possible to get different axles for Axix?

Notably, Axix uses stock bearings common for BBs. Because of this, it can be possible to interchange axle and cups with other BBs (most of which have departed though into the past). An issue can be the fit between the axle and opening in the BB, in my memory.