Old 01-21-10, 10:31 PM
glittermoomin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silly question regarding 10-speed bar-end shifters

Hi there all!

I have a silly novice-type question regarding ten-speed bar-end shifters.

I just purchased a project bike to do up - a gorgeous red Schwinn World ten-speed road-style bicycle - which I'm hoping to convert to an upright commuter ride.

To do this, I'd like to switch out the drop bars for more back-friendly albatross bars, and at the same time, replace the dodgy old-school friction stem shifters with lovely, wonderful, smooth, no-hassle bar-end shifters. I have bar-end shifters on my Trek 520 touring bike, and love them.

My question is this....

I've done online searches for ten-speed bar-end shifters, and the best ones seem to be Shimano's Dura-Ace 10-speed bar end shifters SL-BS79 - http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...4049/30287?g=1

Okay, here's the silly part of my question..... are "ten speed shifters" designed for ten speed bicycles?

The only reason I ask this, is my Trek 520 has 21 gears, and yet it uses Shimano Dura-Ace, bar end NINE speed shifters. Surely, it would use 21-speed shifters, riiiight? The rear cog of my Trek has nine gears, but the whole bike has 21 gears.

So.... should I be looking for five-speed bar end shifters for my little Schwinn ten speed, because its rear cog has five speeds?

Or.... am I missing something? (Go on, humour me!) I'm just a little flummoxed. Any help anybody could offer would be very very greatly appreciated!

Thankyou so much.