View Single Post
Old 01-22-10, 09:44 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
I know that RWGPS uses Google maps. Don't know what Garmin uses. Interesting! Garmin is a GPS company and can't get it right!
NONE of the current GPS companies on the market can get it right...yet.

Interesting thing in Europe is that some drivers follow their GPS's blindly, so much so that cops have responded to drivers who drove into fields, and when asked why they drove into the field the drivers responded that the GPS showed there was a road where they were at!!! And you find the same thing here, GPS's showing roads where there is none, or the address is off by a mile or more etc.

All GPS's will give you a different route if you enter a long complicated designation, not that neither is wrong they just will route you differently. For example I went on business trip and for fun one of the guys brought his Tom Tom and another brought his Megellan I brought along my Garmin. To get from Fort Wayne IN to Columbus OH, the Garmin wanted me to take 27 to 33 to 270 in Columbus, the Tom Tom said to take 30 to 23 to 270 in Columbus and the Megellan said to take the 30 to 68 to the 31 to the 33 to 270 in Columbus. These GPS's are not perfect. But these routing differences can also be found on any online mapping program as well. Which way was the fastest? We couldn't tell so we took he Garmin route since it seemed more direct.