Old 01-23-10, 12:20 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had the adhesive come unstuck on the rubber housing of my eTrex Vista HCx a few months ago. I had a hunch that it was probably because we had left the unit on the car dashboard at times, where it would obviously sometimes get quite hot from the sun, but I guess it could also have just been a general flaw with the particular adhesive they were using. I didn't know it was a broader problem that lots of other people had experienced. In any case, fortunately I had purchased the unit from REI, so even though it was just over a year old, they replaced it with a new unit without question! REI rocks. And I was also able to convince Garmin to switch the lock on my existing City Navigator from the old unit to the new one (I had to email them proof that I was exchanging rather than just buying a new one). I'm really hoping the new one doesn't develop the same issue. Do you have any more details on how some users were able to "resolve the issue with superior results of their own"?

By the way, the bike handlebar holder works just fine in my experience - never had any problem with it coming off or loosening. I seem to remember the back that came with the mount not working with the eTrex, but I believe I just kept the original one and screwed on the clip and it works flawlessly. You do have to make sure the clip is tightened sufficiently onto the back of the GPS, I wish they had used a real screwdriver slot rather than the one designed to take a coin - it's quite difficult to get good purchase on it for tightening, easy to slip. For a long time I looped the lanyard around the handlebars in order to keep the GPS from falling to the ground if it came off the mount, but I feel a lot more confident about it now and don't bother with that any more.

Neil

Last edited by NeilGunton; 01-23-10 at 12:24 PM.