View Single Post
Old 01-27-10, 09:56 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
The most exotic was a caravansary in Tunisia. We locked our bikes in the courtyard next to a small water pool where people left their camels in bygone days. We discovered before dawn when we were awakened by the electronic speaker-amplified call to prayer that we were next to a mosque. After that, we always made sure there wasn't a mosque nearby when we looked for a room.

Another odd night was camping in a post-harvest tomato farm near Venice, Italy one November. I arrived late in the day around sunset. I went to that location near the lido (beach) because there was a campground, however it turned out to be closed for the season. It was getting dark and too late to go somewhere else, and I discovered a tomato field adjacent to the closed campground. There were lots of unripe tomatoes all over the ground. I could hear them squish under my feet (and later under my sleeping bag) while erecting my tent, but it was too dark to see them.

I remember camping in an out-of-business campground near the east entrance to Glacier National Park in Montana. It was called "Far Out Camping" in the "far out, man" 1970's sense of the term. Fortunately, the water hadn't been shut off, and several of us spent a very pleasant night there.

I stayed in a youth hostel in Brittany, France, which was literally like a zoo. Various animals had the run of the place, both inside and out. I recall a goat and pig roaming around the inside of the hostel. The pig was named "Mignonne" ("cute").

I stayed in a really cool beach hut while cycling in the Yucatan. Each bed was suspended from the top of the hut by chains. When you got into bed, it would swing back and forth in the air. Gentle Caribbean waves were breaking on the beach just outside the hut. Very romantic. Alas, my cycling friend was not a love interest.