Old 01-27-10, 12:56 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Let me clear up some of my grey areas see below:

Originally Posted by icyclist
"I notice with my regular road bike i get the same result with clipless pedals. Same soreness etc. Im wondering if that isnt my issue."

And your knees - do they hurt, too, when you ride your road bike?
--> yes....pretty much the same result on my geared road bike

"i ran a 48x17 all last season"

What was this season? You mean last year?

-->YES.....last warm season

"starting getting some knee pain and soreness. "

Was there some time interval when you didn't ride?

-->No.....i was pretty consistant all the way through the warm months from april to late sept early oct with ride frequency being about 3 to 4 times per week at this distance. Some shorter...and some longer.

While getting a pro fitting would be great, it's not something most people and do, and most people seem fairly comfortable on their bikes. And if you've been riding all along without problems until recently, with pain only now showing up, then try to figure out what you're doing differently from before.

-->Agreed I can ride this thing all day and night but the next few days is when i feel it. Somthing is off....or over used.

My first and probably only guess, based on the assumption you stopped riding for a while, is that you're simply overdoing it - as in "ll pound out 24 - 35 miles in a ride....maybe it is just from over use?" - yeah, it could be you're simply overdoing it. What happens when you ride easy? If you feel fine, then ride easy for a while and gradually increase how hard you push yourself.

And/or use a smaller cog for a while. There's a reason a lot of stock bikes come with 42x16 gearing, and not with gears that are a lot higher or lower. 42x16 is a good starting point for most people. If you've taken some time off, you might just need to build yourself back up to your taller gears.
Agreeed. I figured a 18t cog on the back with my 40 on the front woudl give me the close to the same GI ratio.

I must say last season was my first consistent riding season.....ill bet i hadnt been on a bike regularly for 5 years. I rode....just not as far....not as frequent and on a different style bike entirely.

This is my first time on a SS or road bike........and for such great distances. Im in pretty good shape and have been on bikes all my life but this was the first year i tried (and got extremely addticted) to both road and SS riding. So much so...i dont want to stop.

Ive ridden mtb and bmx plenty in the past but that is a whole different animal ......didnt have any troubles with that.

Road bikes fit my lifestyle more now living in suburbia etc. More asphalt.

I must say after my riding last year was over.....i had calves \ legs of steel. I was impressed.

I absolutely cant wait to get back out there once it warms up to start riding again.