View Single Post
Old 01-28-10, 12:31 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Here`s my attempt. I had thought a little about it but decided I`d have to get a coaster brake bike or something until I saw Badmother`s chains and it looked like it was worth a shot even with cantis. Badmother rocks! Is there nothing you fear to attempt???

Anyway, I need to redo mine with a few changes, which was kind of expected, so I only made one so far. I used some mini "swing set" chain (wire is too whimpy and I don`t trust it) and some insulated wire (14g I think) from the scrap bin at work. The insulation is a great help to keep the chain from sliding back and forth over the wire, but I might end up going with 1/16 steel cable to help clearence a little bit. The chains are a mile away from my brakes, but go click click click against the adjustable clips where my fender stays attatch to the fenders. The fenders can`t go any higher because I already chopped off the extra stays when I had them set up for much smaller tires (doh!) so they`re now grabbing the very end of the stay wires. I`m going to have to think of a way to keep things super flat where the chain comes off the wire- have a few ideas and we`ll see how it pans out. I went for a nice test ride yesterday of about 8 miles including clear pavement, hardpacked snow, chewed up snow, and ice. They hardly helped at all on the chewed up snow, did okay on ice, worked awesome on hardpack. I was very disappointed with the performance in loose stuff, but delighted to find that they`re a lot smoother than expected on pavement. At speeds up to about 15MPH, I can hear them for sure, but I didn`t feel any thumping and the bike didn`t get squirly at all.
I am blushing here, but I found it somewhere on the net, not my invention. My son said to tell you he is the guineapig whenever I get some sort of good idea.
Are your chains holding up? I did not start using mine yet this winter but miss them. Got to dig them out soon.