Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Lots of us use libraries when we tour.

On last July's tour through Oregon and Idaho, I used libraries a couple of time to access the internet, get local information, and research upcoming route sections. I discovered that not all state/counties maintain their libraries at the same rate.

Here in San Francisco, the library system is fabulous. It is supported by its own small bit of the sales tax and has a huge collection of printed, audio, video, and internet resources. It is, by far, the best library system I have ever used.

The library I visited in John Day, Oregon was in bad shape. It was hard to move around given all the unsorted piles of books and such. Also, there was only 1 computer terminal that allowed access to the internet and it was in use.

The two libraries I used in Idaho (small town Crouch and and medium sized city Rexburg) were much more attractive with plenty of computer terminals and well stocked and organized books.

I realize my experience is limited to these few visits.

Since many of us have used libraries throughout the states at various times, I thought it might be nice to get some feedback on different library systems as a guide for all of us.

Ray
I don't know about US libraries in general, when visiting Virginia Beach, VA the library was kind enough to issue us a library card so we could access the library computers to access email. Most folks don't make use of library facilities anywhere near as much as they should. Here in Toronto our libraries are excellent and some offer quite new material as well, and there is always the option to get materials from other branches, sent to your local branch for pickup.