Thread: Fuji touring ?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-05, 09:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheely
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking to buy a touring bike and looked at the Trek 520, Cannondale T800 and the Fuji touring. I've also looked at some LBS shop here that design and built there own touring bike (G.M Bertrand in Hull)...but that's another cathegory by itself and is way more expensive...They seem to have a very good reputation however and I only got good feedback about them.

I'm rather new to bike touring and if possible want to get something that's not too expensive...

It will probably be more light touring initially but will probably do a few longer trips here and there with more stuff to carry. I do not expect to do several weeks trips....unless I end up really loving it

I've looked at several of the posts in bike forum and it seems like the Fuji touring may be a good choice to start. I wonder however if you can comment about the components on the bike and which limitations I might be facing with those. Would the Deore and Tiagra components be good enough for the type of use I described ? The gearing of all the bikes I looked at was similar. I have a preference for STI shifting (probably could carry a spare downtube shifter if I wanted to)....I am wondering however if an upgrade to the 105 component from Tiagra would be worth it (and if that would be the case then would'nt the 520 be better ?)...

Anyway. I welcome any comments, good or bad, about the Fuji touring bike....and for any of you that have one...any comments on how good the bike has been for you and type us use/limitations/positives you might have face with it...

THanks

Wheely
I have used Tiagra for 2 1/2 years on my Cannondale and have no complaints with it. It shifts as crisply as the 105's on another bike. The Deore derailuer is a good solid performer also, so I would'nt change that out either.

You could probably get lots of good use out of the Fuji and it is cheaper than the other bike you mentioned. Touring bikes tend to last forever (my first touring bike lasted me for 20 years and I still use it for foul weather.) Any of the three bikes mentioned are good touring bikes. I have the T800 and have been very pleased with it. My daughter has the Fuji but, having just bought it, I can't comment on it durability yet. However, looking at the bike, it doesn't have any obvious flaws and they are dirt cheap!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!