Old 02-01-10, 08:32 AM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode our first ride with a group of tandems!

We've done a century ride where there were other tandems but yesterday Kath and I rode with a local group of riders where there were two other tandem riders. Man, we had a blast. I certainly thought we'd be lagging behind most of the day since the other two were very seasoned tandem riders. We were definitely the newbies here. Oh, there were also about ten singles on the ride.

It turned out to be a 73 mile ride for us traveling through (East Bay California area) Sunol, Pleasanton, Livermore, out and up Cowell Hallow Road, back down to Highland and return to home.

Kathryn picked up some cool stoker tips (like standing when I stayed sitting) and some other balancing tips. And to top it off, we were not dead last...ever. We actually kept our place tucked in second position (with the tandems that is) some of the day. Kathryn made me laugh because she's always making fun of me when I tell her I hate getting passed (which is all of the time). One time out on the flats, she said,"can we catch that other tandem?". I told her "watch us". And we did. That, to me, was the highlight of the day. Beautiful day which started out foggy and 42 degrees. I know, you hard core sub zero people will call us wimps, but that to us was friggen cold!. Turned out to be a clear day with a high of 65.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tandemride01312010.jpg (73.0 KB, 118 views)