Thread: Fuji touring ?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-05, 11:49 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I've put almost 35,000km on my Fuji. Framewise, good value, or at least the one I've got, which is a 2000-01 model. I noticed Fuji seems to have gone the more compact style of frame. You need to pay attention to how you pack your loads on the rear rack -- I have a largish frame that tends to get squirrely when climbing, if the load's not right. The forks have braze-ons for low-rider racks, and they work fine.

Rack? I agree, it will break, so get a better quality one.

Tiagra and Deore are fine. I find the jockey wheels get noisy quite quickly, and I have BBB sealed bearing ones to go in.

Note that I swapped out the chainrings/cranks/BB for a 22-32-44 set-up because of the terrain I ride. The Tiagra front derailleur remained and does quite well. The shifters are fine even after all those km. I must be getting up three-quarters of a million shifts on the right one by now! I swapped out the seat for a Brooks Pro initially, and now a B17. The wheels were the weakness for my year/model. They were Alex rims and I had all sorts of problems with broken spokes on the rear one. I have replaced then with Velocity Aeroheads since.