Old 02-02-10, 06:20 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rumpled
Did you actually get to see the bike ahead of time?
At my local Performance they occassionally have a Fuji or two; but they've told me they've never seen a Scattante cross their.
If I want to get one; I'd have to pay for it upfront to order it - then when it comes in I could get a refund if I didn't want the bike.
A bit of a hassle for a bike I couldn't see ahead of time.
This is a new reality of online shopping. The sadness comes in that my LBS couldn't even get in the same solar system as this bike. I love the Gary Fisher bikes, but for the same price, I would be losing. I rode a Trek 1.5, Specialized Allez, and a Scott Speedster, just to try and compare like to like. I was hesitant about the cross goemetry, so we'll see how this bike pans out.

Originally Posted by gus6464
I just got home from Performance myself with a brand new 09 Fuji Cross Comp. I also got it for $899 with full 105 and Ultegra RD.
I have sat on so many bikes in the past month, been to so many online fit calculators, and no matter how my 57cm fit pans out, I am always more comfortable on the smaller 56cm rather than the 58cm, which stretches me out. If the 57cm does not fit for some bizarre reason, it goes back, I lose nothing and get my money back. Mind you, I understand that all manufacturers do not define fit the same way, but I have done some good research and think this 57cm will be the one.

I checked a Fuji Cross at the Performance store in my area, but it was a smaller version. I could have gone 56cm Motobecane Cross Outlaw, with Avid discs, but it has inferior components and 9 speeds for about the same price. The Scattante has 10 speeds and 105 derailleurs and shifters, as well as the aforementioned double crank middle line FSA). I rode Tiagra, Sora and 2200 shifters, and the throw was brutal, but bear in mind this is my first drop bar bike - I may have to accept that.

Admittedly, I had been shopping all road bikes, but for the 5%-10% trail time I spend (which will likely increase now), the road bike would not have been able to travel there. Being a fatalist, something tells me I was supposed to go this direction. Thanks for your concern and support