View Single Post
Old 02-03-10, 01:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Yes, I'm a firm believer in using washers on non-eyelet rims. Try to find decent ones in Stainless or Brass, and if the rim section is narrow at the seat, make yourself a small jig to curve them so they seat nicely into the rim.

Many years ago working with thin section alloy rims I used to use a bit of body filler under the washers to spread the load. While it was still soft, I'd build the wheel, and tighten it enough to bed the nipples and washers, Then I'd let the body filler cure before applying final tension. Using that technique I eliminated the splitting that those rims were famous for.

I still have and occasionally ride an old set of Italian built track wheels, wherein the builder used leather washers under each nipple. Those have taken tons of abuse as street wheels and are still in great shape, other than the effects of almost 50 years of weathering.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.