In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Having done it a few times I can recommend/advise as follows:

1. Look for local associations to "register" with. League of XXX wheelmen/cyclists, etc. Usually they charge little to no dues and will list your club up on a site, etc.

2. If you plan on racing - then you should register the "club" with USA Cycling. It costs $150/yr to do so. After that you will need to be listed with the area "local association". No cost and the info will be available from USAC.

3. My advice is to not charge dues - especially if you are a new club. People have this funny way of expecting "something in return" whenever they pay for anything - even if you point out exactly what their money went towards and even if they had a vote in it.

4. Put someone in charge. That person has the final word. Period.

5. Put someone else in charge of all of the logistics. Kit buys/design, etc. Do not make kit design a collective process. Involve 1 person and the sponsor - that's it.

6. If you recruit by talking to people when off the bike then don't be surprised if they join and you never see them "on" the bike. I have found that recruiting works best when you start the discussion after you meet while riding or racing. It demonstrates that they are actually going to participate.

7. Never expect to be thanked for anything. This is your hobby and you decided to do this. No one else decided for you and no one else owes you anything for making that decision. This is due to the fact that running a team will be much more work than you ever anticipated if you haven't done it before and the fact that happy people usually stay quiet - it's the ones with issues who are vocal so you will end up only hearing about what's wrong.

8. Cyclists are competitive, smart, egocentric, and type A. Don't be quick to jump to the "A-Hole" label - these are actually qualities that can help make someone very effective in a race.

9. There is nothing better than seeing a picture loaded with your team members. Make sure some get taken.

10. The more you have meetings the more opportunities there are to develop disagreements and/or drama. Most of the people in this sport are successful and/or leaders - meaning each one is the smartest person they have ever met. Ask 10 to decide on something....and it will erode quickly. - see #4.

11. Celebrate. Everything possible.

12. make sure people know your team ethos before joining.
+1

And I'll just add that you've got to look into insurance. This might be covered if you join an association, but if not, you'll have to track it down yourself. If something bad happens on a ride, the club is responsible. You may need to charge your club members a minimal fee to cover the insurance aspect of things.