BikeIce

Bikes: Davidson, Lightening Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who Am I?

Hello:

I am a cardiopulmonary physical therapist who started the SCOR Cardiac Cyclists Club
in 1974 for people with heart disease who wanted to return to recreational or competitive
cycling and do so safely and effectively. Our club is still going strong 37 years later and we take great pride in organizing and hosting the Solvang Century & Half Century as well as Solvang Prelude bike rides out here in California.

My own cycling career began in 1973 when I began commuting to work and back via a road bike. When bicycling took off in popularity in the late 1970's, people began to approach me to figure out why a certain body part hurt while riding, so I started doing bike fittings to
analyze what biomechanical issues are present that would lead to a cycling related pain
syndrome, and then making adjustments to the bike or body that would marry the two together and relieve pain or soreness during or after riding.

This lead to the recognition that the Q factor distance between the feet can be a definite issue
in proper bike fit and pain relief. As a result, I invented the Kneesaver pedal extenders made
in differing sizes to accomodate the need for differing foot width needs (Q factor) when
cycling. Later that lead to the developement of 1/2" male end, 9/16" female end Pedal Adapters
that would allow one to use their pedals and shoes on a spin trainer or stationary bike. These have been used by thousands of cyclists to continue their cycling career in a pain free manner.

The Race Across AMerica (RAAM) came beckoning in the 1980's and I began doing drug testing of their athletes for them, and nutritional consultations with competitors who sought to improve
their race times and recovery from what is clearly one of the worlds most difficult bike races. That lead to the developement of SPIZ, the nutritionally complete energy drink that Pete Penseyres used to set the fastest average speed RAAM crossing ever, 15.4 mph.

I still run a cardiac rehabilitation program, still ride and lift weights and have been involved in the field of bioidientical hormone replacement as the clinical coordinator of such a program here in Southern California for the last 10 years.

If I can be of help to any cyclists with issues or problems in the areas of bike fitting, pain syndromes, nutrition, anti-aging therapies or hormone replacment, feel free to contact me.

Thank you!

Randy Ice PT, CCS

Last edited by BikeIce; 02-15-10 at 11:07 AM. Reason: commercial website in post