Old 02-17-10, 08:30 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottbrown
Are the Motobecane bicycles problematic bikes? Do they break down frequently and need servicing a lot? Tell me why I need to stay away from the Motobecane bicycles. If the Motobecane bicycles are not as good as the Trek 7000, 7100, 7200, the Navigator 3.0 and the Kona, then I will keep away from the Motobecane brand.
Is the Trek 7000, the Trek 7100, the Trek 7200, the Trek Navigator 3.0 and the Kona Smoke much better bikes than the Motobecane bikes? What do the Trek 7000, 7100, Trek 7200, Trek Navigator 3.0 and the Kona Smoke bikes have which is better quality than the Motobecane bikes?
The quality of the bike is not in question. If you had turned your comprehension knob up, you do NOT get a shop assembled bike off a UPS truck. You, the customer, must assemble, or pay a shop, to assemble your bike. You will NOT get any free tune ups or local dealer support. The only exception is buying from bikesdirect.com's retail store, Cycles Spectrum.

I have a Motobecane Messenger. After 30 miles, the bottom bracket was toast. I had to buy and replace the bottom bracket cartridge myself, or pay my local shop to do the job for $60 parts and labor. Well, I was able to buy a new cartridge at dealer cost from the job I had at the time, and I am a bike mechanic with the fully-stocked toolbox. These amount to big savings for me.

There is more then just assembly once you receive a bike from bikesdirect.com. You install the front wheel, pedals, stem, handlebar, seat and post, but then you have to hook up and adjust the front brake, then adjust the rear brake. Often the headset needs to be adjusted. Derailleurs are rarely ever adjusted properly from the factory. The wheels will probably need truing and crank arms torqued. On a few occasions, you will have to replace a tube and/or tire. Can you diagnose a bent frame or fork? Bikes get thrown around pretty hard by package handlers.

Bikes shops will assemble the bike and take car of all the above issues. Something that will not happen if you order a bike off the internet with one exception: Worksman Bicycles, but those will come off an LTL carrier, and those are expensive shipping charges.