Old 02-21-10, 02:17 PM
BayBruin

Bikes: Trek Portland & Trek 830 Antelope Mountain bike (with slicks) circa 1991

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help Getting Son to Ride

My oldest son is 8 years old (weighs 85 pounds) and he has autism but is very high functioning. When he was younger I would get him out on his bike sporadically with training wheels and because of a lack of coordination and lack of attention he took a couple spills on it (yes...even with training wheels). He says he doesn't like to ride bikes but I know it's just because of the fear factor. He wants to drive someday but I told him that first he needs to learn how to ride a bike. If I can't trust him to pay attention while riding his bike a car is out of the question.

Anyway, I was pretty much resigned to him not riding but then someone brought up the "trail-a- bike" option. Totally turned a light on for me. We tried one years ago when he was like 5 and he loved it when he was with his aunt. I asked him yesterday if he would like something like that again and he said he really would. I think it would be perfect...help with his balance....get him used to pedaling....SAFE! But now that I am looking at these things the best I can find seems to have a wieght limit of 75 pounds. Since he is already 10 pounds over the max weight and these things are expensive I'm thinking this isn't a good option. Thoughts/suggestions? One thought I had is why I didn't do this MUCH sooner. Oh well.

There is also the idea of a tandem bike but I am 6' 2" and he is much shorter. Is there an "off the rack" tandem that could accomodate both of us? I can't see spending serious cash on a custom tandem when I am not convinced he would like it.

I REALLY need to find an activity my son will really enjoy. Cycling is a good option because my youngest likes to ride...I love to ride...and my wife used to ride and would be interested starting again. My son loves to read, play in his room, watch TV (ugh) and play on the computer. I need some activity that he will like so I can get him on a path towards life long fitness plus improved balance and focus would be huge pluses.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.