Old 02-25-10, 05:52 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with the others! You will need to be very flexible and be willing to accept 10-mile days. When we first started touring with our boys, my husband felt we had to AVERAGE 50 miles per day - if we didn't, it simply wasn't worth touring. In his words: "We won't get anywhere and it's not even worth packing up if we don't go at least 50 miles."

We pushed ourselves way too hard for the first month or so in order to maintain that 50 mile/day average, but still fell short. If we took a day off, we had to ride 75 to make up for it. It was crazy. Within a month, hubby had figured out that 50 miles was unrealistic. Yes - we could 50 miles every now and t hen, but can't average that. In fact, we can't even do that most days we ride!

We've now cycled a lot and we go slowly. We ride about 1/2 of the days in any given month and try really, really hard to keep our daily mileage on riding days to less then 50 miles. Some days we have no choice, so we go for it - but we try to limit those days to next to nothing!

So - if you think your son can handle his own bike, go for it. But be aware that he won't be doing 30 miles per day every day. If you try, you'll make his life AND yours miserable!

Good luck!