View Single Post
Old 02-26-10, 03:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Key in selecting a pump is matching the bore diameter to your tire pressure goal and your arm strength.

Think or pump bore diameter as you would gear selection for single speed. Smaller bores allow pumping to higher pressures with a given strength, but at the expense of tons of strokes. Larger bores pump more volume but getting to high pressure require more strength.

So choosing the right pump depends balancing strength vs. speed, based on how much pressure you need to achieve.

No matter the quality, any pump that doesn't satisfy your personal needs won't be of much use to you. Generally I suggest buying the largest bore pump that will allow you to pump to full riding pressure. For some that might mean a fairly skinny pump, for others a much fatter faster working pump.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.