Old 03-12-10, 08:56 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyS
I just started using SPD this year, and I have fallen over at stop lights (twice on my last outing!) when the side I've clipped out (I always unclip on the right) ends up being slightly uphill from the side I didn't clip out on and I didn't realize this until it was too late. Sometimes I can save myself mid-fall, but not often.

I am terrified of this happening on my fully loaded brand new touring rig for the TA, so I haven't made up my mind yet on it. My dad rides with platforms and claims his doctor told him not to use clips because it'll wreck his bad knees... and he does fine without them. He rides 62 miles round trip to work every day. Once I tried the clips, they don't hurt my knees at all but they do hurt my ankles if I start pulling up too early, which I have tended to do on occasion.

Who knows... I have 2 years to get used to the clips though.

Also, it may be just my shoes, but I get TERRIBLE hot spots from my SPD pedals, which have just slightly stiffer than normal shoe soles. Guy at the LBS told me the stiff sole would take care of that, and for a long tour like the TA I'm going to want more contact area (ie great big road cleats) holding me in.

Can anybody confirm or deny that?
The only way you'll wreck your knees from clipless is if they're not adjusted correctly. Some companies, like Speedplay, use a huge amount of float and are more comfortable than others.

It sounds like your shoes aren't the right size and your feet are slipping. I've used Shimano, Speedplay, Crank Bros, and Look type pedals. I've found the Look style, with their longer base, to be more comfortable on long rides. I don't get hot spots (which are an indication of your foot moving) on the smaller area pedals but rather pressure points.