Drunken Chicken

Bikes: Check signature

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeeper
Raiyn, thanks for the info.

I read the $500 bike thread (all 19 pages!) , and actually posted this there too. I didn't really find the info I was looking for in there though. I also felt this question fell a little out of the scope of that thread because I'm not looking for a recommendation on a bike, I'm just trying to find out about shifting.

Anyway, I'm thinking your right about the shop. Every bike I rode, they had to put air in the tires first, because they were all really soft. And on the Hardrock Sport Disc, the handlebars came loose at the end of my test ride. I bunnyhopped it, and when I came down, the bars spun a little in the stem. I thought I broke something till I realized it was just loose. I told the guy about it, but by that point I wasn't fussy about the bike anyway because of the noises. Also, the rear derailler cable was all frayed, they didn't have it crimped. Looked very amateurish.

I know of another shop that carries Specialized, I'm going to check them out. They also have a 30-day money back policy, I think that's pretty cool.

Oh, and I realize I can swap out tires and such, but I'd rather not get into all that. I just want to buy something set up like I want out of the box. Plus, some bikes can't fit a 2.2 tires, I know they wouldn't fit on my old Marin.

One last question. Is the Hardrock Sport frame worth upgrading at all? Or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks alot for the info, I appreciate it.
I have a Hardrock Sport (non-disc) and I think it's great. Vibration: don't know, but sounds like something's wrong with the bike. Shifting? You can always upgrade the derailleurs right?
I think the Hardrock Sport frame is good all around, it feels very strong and (in my opinion) isn't very heavy. I'd go for the Hardrock Comp if you have the money, a) better fork b) discs (maybe not good ones but at least the wheelset will have disc hubs) c) flames

What I want to upgrade on my Hardrock is the fork and the wheelset aswell as discs later. (the wheels are already quite untrue, still not enough to affect the braking though)
One of the issues with the RST Gila T5 fork on the HR Sport is that the rubber seal things unstick really fast and I'm going to have to stick them with zipties. When I took it to the LBS the guy wrote into the computer: "Lubrificar guardapolvos" which is the equivalent, in English, of lube the rubber seals (I'm not sure if they're called rubber seals but oh well )
I'm sorry but lube it my ass, 2 hours later the things already slid up and down again.
Overall, if you have the money, I'd go for the HR Comp.