View Single Post
Old 03-13-10, 12:21 AM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I Tried A Three Speed Internal Gear Hub

I tried a three speed internal gear hub today. It was a Nexus. On Bikeforums.net I've researched internal geared hubs (IGH) and a few people described the three speed as having a really low first gear for going up hills, the main drive gear, and the taller top gear for going down hills.

The hub was on a Felt bicycle at one of my local shops. I want to trade my Dahon Smooth Hound for a cruiser. The three speed was not as described. First gear was not very low. It was too high to go up a slope while seated. I preferred to stand in gear two for the hill instead of using first. It seems that first gear would be useable if I had a large load riding on level ground. It would even be too tall in a strong headwind.

The rear sprocket had twenty-two teeth. The front looked like about forty-two on the one piece crank. If the rear had twenty-four it would be better for me. That would drop the gearing a few percentage points.

Do the seven or eight speed IGHs have lower gears than the three speed IGHs, or do they just have more ratios within the same range as the three speed hubs?

The shifting was easy and being able to shift while stopped is a great benefit of the IGH. The Nexus did make a clicking sound in first gear. The shifter did take a firm twist to get into each gear. It wasn't difficult but it did take some pressure.

Felt doesn't make the model I tried with a derailleur. It only has a three speed. I might just go with a different brand with a derailleur system. The Giant Simple 7 looks good. It wasn't in stock at the Giant dealer.

What are the gear inches of a Nexus three speed hub in each gear with a twenty-six inch wheel? First gear definitely isn't in the twenties and maybe not in the thirties.