Old 03-15-10, 08:41 AM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngrySaki
I'm sure you'd agree that there's at least some difference between pushing with both legs at the same time vs pushing with one leg and pulling with the other, which is in turn different from just pushing with one leg.
Yeah! But even performing a one legged version of the exercises mentioned, your still developing & strengthening both the "push" & the "pull" muscles. If I perform the two legged version, I'm not suddenly just developing the "pull", cos its two legged. I've been road cycling for almost a decade now & I have never once thought of cycling being one legged, nor walking, nor running, I can see where your coming from (in a way), I just can't see the benefit. I would also never substitute one legged deadlifts for regular two legged, nor would I substitute Dumbell jump squats for pistol squats, but thats just me.

Originally Posted by electrik
Sure it is push and pull, but it is mostly push...
Its just that you said, Your coach told you "You use one leg at a time when pedaling".

To me it makes sense also because you're always putting the power down with one leg at a time
Don't forget the other muscles in your legs. Be efficient. Put the power down but bring the power back up.

So if weight lifters aren't careful they'll end up with one leg larger than the other... for cycling purposes the benefits also include the strengthening of all the stabilizing muscles.. which is why i would say "no machines" since we want dynamic strength not size.
Two legged versions will also go towards strengthening the stabilizing muscles, just the one legged version calls upon them more just for balancing issues.

Last edited by $ick3nin.vend3t; 03-15-10 at 08:46 AM.