patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Has anyone ridden/owned both? I understand that there is a weight difference of about 1/3 pound -- almost all of it in the crankset. I understand the Dura Ace levers have a different reach adjustment method than the Ultegra.

But here's the real question: Is there a FUNCTIONAL difference between 6700 Ultegra and 7900 Dura Ace? Why the $700 difference?
The DA crank is only 60 grams lighter. Everything is slightly lighter, total difference between the groups is about 200 grams. You can get half of that by simply using a D.A. cassette (I think that's 70 grams or so) and BB, which you can always upgrade to for relatively modest cost. On my Scott Addict I have Ultegra, but the BB and the Cassette are Dura Ace, so the net weight savings for me upgrading to D.A. components would only be about 100 grams at this point. I can add Zero G brakes and save that, but I'm very pleased with the Ultegra braking.

So the short answer is that yes there is a functional difference: Ultegra 6700 is better. Go figure.