Old 03-18-10, 03:49 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
Does headbadge say: "Schwinn Chicago" or "Schwinn Quality" or "Schwinn Approved". The Schwinn Chicago was made in USA, in Mississippi, as the Chicago plant was long gone by then. I believe the 1986 LeTour was USA made. The Schwinn Approved and Schwinn Quality were made in Asia. The Taiwanese Schwinns tended to have a Giant serial number on the drop out.

Note that the Japanese Schwinns were some really good bikes, made by companies such as Panasonic and others.
This is a Miss. made bike. Funny enough, all (I think) the 80s+ Schwinn Chicago badged bikes, including the Tenax bikes were made by Giant. Most of the Schwinn-approved bikes in the mid to late 80s were made in Miss. Here are the badges of my Asian made '87 Super Sport and '89 Traveler:

1979 or 80 was the last production year in Chicago (for Schwinns) and 1989 or 90 in Greenville, MS

Actually the 1986 Le Tour was a fairly interesting bike: It has a French flair with Huret derailleurs and Stronglight crankcase. Not sure about the price, but it was right below Prelude at the time (dead middle in the lineup)

Last edited by EjustE; 03-18-10 at 03:56 PM.