JaclynMcKewan

Bikes: Workcycles Oma, Giant Simple Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPF Clothing

Hello,

I am an occasional poster. I am more of a casual cyclist, but last year I started riding my bike to work occasionally, since it's fairly close (2.7 miles).

Although I know many people bike to work throughout the year, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold weather (and I live in Buffalo) so I tend to do it only in the spring/summer. Now that spring is here, I'm looking into getting some clothing specifically for my commute, to prevent my arms from getting overly tan like they did last year.

I'm fair-skinned and my shoulders tend to burn, even when I use sunscreen. Also, while it may seem strange in this day and age, when tan skin is considered attractive and pale skin is "pasty" and "sickly," I actually like my fair skin and feel that it suits me. So I am looking for some long-sleeved tops that are cool enough for warm weather, and will help to shield my arms and shoulders from the sun (although I'm willing to still wear sunscreen underneath if necessary).

I've come across some tops that claim to shield UV rays, or some that even have an SPF rating. I was just wondering, is there anything to this, or is it just marketing hype? I just want to know if I should focus my search specifically on SPF clothing, or if any long-sleeved tops will do. Thanks!