View Single Post
Old 03-21-10, 11:14 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what I've been able to gather, your bike has carbon seatstays and no eyelets for a rack. It also has minimal spokes on the wheels. The Old Man Mountain racks mount on an elongated skewer, which would seem to put the weight of your load on your wheel more than your rear triangle. That makes sense to me. They're expensive but I've heard good things about them.

I've heard comments from people who worry about carbon taking the stress of a loaded rack (or the torque of a twisting Bob trailer when maneuvering in a parking lot/campsite.) I don't know much about this, but if a bike can handle a 250 lb. person, and you're under that when you combine your weight and your load, I guess you'd be okay with a loaded rear rack.

However, I've had personal experience with breaking spokes on my rear wheel on tour. It's a real drag. If I were you I'd at least invest in a touring rear wheel before embarking on your trip. I'd go to a good mechanic, tell him you want a touring wheel that will not suffer from broken spokes, and let him build you one. I'd suggest 36 spokes in a standard 3 cross pattern. Ive never broken a front spoke in my life, but if I were going to carry a load in front I'd want a strong wheel there as well. Personally, I much prefer loading up both the front and back, as opposed to the back only.