View Single Post
Old 03-22-10, 01:44 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Do any of you find the path faster than the road? I find my average speed is higher on the path than on the street, just due to the fact that there are fewer intersections and a lot fewer stop signs/traffic lights.
The paths are only faster for me when they're empty or close to it. I don't like passing walkers at speeds greater than about 6 mph, so if there's a lot of them on the path then my average speed stays really low. But if there's nobody out there, then the lack of stop signs and lights makes my MUP route slightly faster than my road route, despite the MUP route being a little over two miles longer.

I think that the lack of stopping on the MUP is partially countered by the fact that I never go full speed on the path, even when it's relatively empty. Whereas on the streets I'm willing to sprint between lights and stop signs, and to go as fast as I can on the downhills.